Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
What You’ll Need:
For the Strawberries:
- 1/3 cup water kefir
- 1 ½ pounds strawberries (stems removed and quartered)
- 2 tbsp. finely ground coconut sugar
For the Shortcake:
- 3 tbsp. coconut sugar
- ½ tsp. fine sea salt
- 2 ¼ tsp. baking powder
- Coconut oil for greasing the pan
- 2 cups Premium Organic Tiger Nuts Flour
- 1 ½ cups full-fat coconut milk
- ½ tsp. baking soda
For the Whipped Cream:
- ¼ cup organic powdered sugar (sifted)
- 2 cans full-fat coconut milk (14 ounce cans, each. Refrigerated for 24 hours)
- Pinch of fine sea salt
- To make the shortcake, preheat the oven to 400F.
- Grease an 8-inch square baking dish with coconut oil.
- Take a medium mixing bowl and combine the baking powder, flour, baking soda, salt and coconut sugar together.
- Add in the coconut milk and mix until combined. Make sure you don’t overwork the mixture.
- Transfer to the baking dish and smooth from the top to have an even layer.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes or until golden.
- Allow the shortcake to cool for 10 minutes in the pan and then gently remove and place on a cooling rack to cool completely.
- While the cake is cooking, make your strawberries by placing the berries in a mixing bowl and add in the water kefir and coconut sugar. Stir occasionally for 30 minutes.
- Prepare the whipped cream by opening the cans of coconut milk and scooping out the top layers of solid coconut cream into a bowl of a stand mixer (you don’t need the coconut liquid, so save it for a smoothie).
- Mix the cream, salt and powdered sugar on low speed until combined. Then, switch to high speed and blend for 1-2 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Assemble your trifles: slice the shortcake into bite-sized cubes. Add the shortcake pieces into small jars or mini trifle dishes and then spoon the strawberries mixture on top.
- Next, add a generous dollop of coconut whipped cream and if there is still room left, repeat the steps.
- Serve immediately.
If you have used our Tiger Nuts Flour, Oil or Tiger Nuts in a recipe, and have pictures too, please email them to us at email@example.com. They may get published in our newsletter or added to the website.
Stay Healthy! The Team at Tiger Nuts